Applying for Canadian immigration and want to score CLB 9 in IELTS General Exam? We are going to explain what is CLB 9 and how can you achieve it below. Read on.
Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) accepts the IELTS General Training score due to its authenticity. As a matter of fact, the first test to acquire the recognition from CIC is the IELTS.
In English as a Second Language (ESL), the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) standard is a descriptive scale of language ability written as reference points or 12 benchmarks.
The Three Stages of CLB:
Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) system consists of 0 to 12 stages, and each stage contains certain IELTS bands score’s level.
So, your CLB score will be the basis of your de-selection or selection in the exam. The following three stages contribute vitally to the criteria of your selection in immigration.
CLB – 4:
The minimum level of scoring which a spouse needs achieving for claiming the extra 5 points to meet the eligibility criteria is CLB 4.
According to the level, the IELTS (G) score you require getting is as follows
- Reading 3.0 bands
- Listening 4.5 bands
- Writing and Speaking 4.0
CLB – 7:
The minimum level that a candidate requires getting for qualifying for Canadian PNP or FSWP programs is CLB 7. Furthermore, achieving this score is also necessary for the candidates to make their profile into the Express Entry system. 6 bands in each of IELTS (G) module is regarded as a CLB – 7.
CLB – 9:
In Canadian immigration, this level has its own value. This level accepts the IELTS (G) Listening score of 8.0 while 7.0 in remaining modules.
Many candidates make increments in their CRS scores. As well as that, they also get the Canadian Permanent Residency dream after hitting this level.
Pondering Over How To Achieve CLB 9?
The IELTS Speaking and Listening parts go hand in hand while Writing and Reading go parallel. You will win half of the contest if you are good at the Speaking or Listening module. And the same goes for Writing and Reading.
So, if you have made up your mind to achieve CLB 9 in IELTS general, you need targeting 8 (Listening), 7(Reading), 7 (Writing), 7 (Speaking) bands.
Tips to Score CLB 9:
The following tips are going to help you to fulfill this purpose.
About the Listening Module:
To learn any language is a time-consuming process; hence, it’s not something you can get familiarized with overnight. It takes practicing actively. More importantly, this process should be enjoyable for you. So, you will require listening to English daily if you want to learn it.
In fact, we make the following two choices when we listen:
- We listen just for comprehending.
- We listen just for fetching the answers from Audio.
In IELTS Listening, you need redressing the balance amid both the choices for achieving a band 8. The level of difficulty increases as the test advances.
Additionally, in the entire IELTS Listening test, four possible answers are there from parts of speech, i.e., Adjective, Noun, Adverb Verb.
Thus, for different types of questions, different strategies are there. It won’t benefit you if you are taking the practice test just to complete it. You need to asses it by verifying the answers from the answer key.
Work smart and make the right use of your time when practicing. You should take the authentic test that the test bodies conducting the IELTS exam execute.
About the Reading Module:
You require skimming and scanning the reading passages quite speedily and efficiently.
- You don’t require understanding the whole passage as you don’t have to study it. Rather work on your skill for finding the right answers of each question type.
- Read a lot every day, and you must be able to read a minimum of 600 words a way. It will improve your speed so you could complete your IELTS Reading test in one hour.
About the Writing Module:
- The incorporation of passive voice should only take place while writing a formal letter or essay. Make use of a range of conjunctions that would formulate compound and complex sentences.
- Both the writing tasks must not exceed the given word limit to avoid the risk of additional errors.
About the Speaking Module:
This module is all about playing with the words.
- You need avoiding repetition.
- Get to know how to paraphrase.
- Make use of linking words in case you run out of words or stuck.
- Use lots and lots of formal idioms as well as relevant phrases.
- Practice as much as possible.
- Most of all, stay confident in the exam.